About Casey's Law
Steps in the process
Evaluation Form PDF
Casey's Law in circulation
Steps in the Process
- Step 1: Download a copy of the petition. Click Here (PDF)
- Step 2: This petition is filed with the circuit clerk (clerk issuing drivers’/operators’ licenses) by a spouse, relative, friend, or guardian of the substance abuse impaired person. Click Here for a list of circuit clerks for each Kentucky county.
- Step 3: The court reviews the allegations in the petition and examines the petitioner under oath.
- Step 4: The court determines whether there is probable cause to order treatment for the respondent (the person named in the petition).
- Step 5: If probable cause is established, the court orders the respondent to be evaluated, and a hearing is set within fourteen (14) days.
- Step 6: The respondent is notified of the date and purpose of the hearing.
- Step 7: The respondent is evaluated by two (2) qualified health professionals, at least one (1) of whom is a physician.
- Step 8: If the court finds the respondent should undergo treatment, the court shall order treatment from sixty (60) days or up to three hundred sixty (360) days, dependent upon the request in the petition and the result of the hearing.
- Step 9: The petitioner of Casey's Law is responsible for finding the treatment facility and how much to pay, if payment is needed at all. Some facilities are no cost.
Download this information in PDF Form Click Here